June is National Safety Month
The National Safety Council marks the month of June as National Safety Month. During this month, they focus on reducing injury in the workplace, on the road, and especially at home. One of the leading causes of severe injury or death in the home is fire. The National Safety Council has some tips to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your home:
- Make sure you change batteries as needed and test quarterly!
- Have both types of smoke alarms installed (ionization and photoelectric) or a combination type device that have both technologies built into one. Don’t forget about carbon monoxide sensors, too.
- Make sure your change smoke alarm batteries as needed and test quarterly
- Plan and practice an escape route and agree on a meeting place outside of your home; be prepared to assist young children, family members with special needs and pets
- Know two ways to out of every room
- Learn how to use your fire extinguisher
- If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop and roll
- When evacuating, if door handles are hot, pick an alternate route
- Leave your house and call for help; do not go back to help someone else
One thousand residential fire fatalities have been reported by the U.S. news media since the beginning of 2017. Vigilante Security has a staff of experienced professionals to walk you through your smoke and fire alarm needs to make sure your home is safe and secure.