Due to the great response from our previous emails about replacing batteries, we thought we would continue the theme and talk about testing your alarm system.
The purpose of testing your alarm system is to ensure proper local operation as well as the proper communication to the central station. Periodic testing of your alarm system is essential to ensure proper function. You should test your system monthly but absolutely, at least, quarterly.
While Vigilante Security recommends the testing of your burglar alarm system on a regular basis. You should also test your system if any of the following occur:
- Any type of telephone or cable phone work or changed your phone service in any way
- If you have had work done in your house that includes the electrical system, and/or work done in the attic
- If you have experienced a power outage due to a storm or other interruption
- If you have had workers, or anyone that you do not know or trust, in the house
- If you cannot remember the last time you tested your system
NOTE: TO TEST YOUR SYSTEM, YOU WILL NEED TO CALL THE CENTRAL STATION AND HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT PLACED ON TEST. PLEASE HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER AND PASSWORD READY
The phone number for Central Station is the same number you use to cancel accidental alarms 800-589-7100.
HOW TO TEST YOUR SYSTEM
There are two types of tests to perform: testing signals within your home and testing the signal from your home to the central station. The procedures vary slightly depending on the type of alarm system you have. Check your owner’s manual for specific details. A copy of your owner’s manual is available on our website at http://www.vigilantesecurity.com/help-desk.php
- Verify that the system is in “READY” mode. Do not arm it.
- Open each protected door or window, one at a time.
- Check that the keypad displays the door or window you are testing is open.
- Close the respective door or window.
- Repeat this procedure for each sensor in the system.
Testing the signal transmission to the Monitoring Station
Again, MAKE SURE YOU CALL CENTRAL STATION AND PLACE YOUR ACCOUNT IN TEST PRIOR TO ANY TESTING. When you call the Central Station, be ready to give your Account Number and Password to the operator.
Arm your system as usual and set it off by opening a door or window, or by tripping a motion detector. We highly recommend you test all of your alarm points throughout your entire house or building. Keep track of all sensors that are tested so when you call central station you can confirm each one.
Allow the alarm to sound for at least one minute after the last sensor is activated.
Turn off your system and reset it to “READY” mode. Make sure system is fully reset and back to normal / ready condition.
ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED TESTING YOUR ALARM SYSTEM, PLEASE CALL THE CENTRAL STATION. Verify that every signal was received. If satisfied with the results and all zones tested correctly request that your alarm system be taken off of test and put back in live mode.
This may also be a great time to test your non alarm system smoke alarms.
You can also contact our Service Department so we can guide you through the various tests to ensure that your alarm system will function properly when you need it. Our Service Department is only a telephone call away at 248-559-7100.